Arizona Empowerment Scholarship
Account Eligibility Requirements

Girls talking

Every K–12 student in Arizona is eligible to participate in the state’s Empowerment Scholarship Account (ESA) program, regardless of family income, where the student lives within the state, or the student’s past academic performance. Students are eligible for ESA funding even if they already attend private schools or are homeschooled.

To apply for Arizona’s ESA, you will need to provide the following:

1. Student’s Birth Certificate

  • The applicant (the person applying) must be listed on the birth certificate (or other legal documentation).
  • If the applicant’s legal name at the time of application does not match what is on the birth certificate, documentation of legal name change must be included with the birth certificate.

2. Proof of Residency Document in the Applicant’s Name (parent/guardian applying)

You only need to provide ONE of the following documents listing your physical address. PO Boxes are not accepted. This is not an exhaustive list.

  • Valid Arizona driver’s license or Arizona identification card
  • Valid Arizona motor vehicle registration
  • Valid Arizona Address Confidentiality Program authorization card
  • Property Deed / Warranty Deed
  • Mortgage documents
  • HOA documents
  • Property tax bill
  • Rental agreement or lease (including Section 8 agreement or off-base military housing)
  • Utility bill (water, electric, gas, cable, phone)
  • Bank or credit card statement
  • W-2 wage statement
  • Payroll stub
  • Certificate of tribal enrollment (506 Form) or other identification issued by a recognized Indian tribe located in Arizona
  • Other documentation from a state, tribal, or federal agency (Social Security Administration, Veterans’ Administration, Arizona Department of Economic Security, etc.)
  • For Reservation addresses: Physical address verification letter from a fire department, police department, tribal agency, or Chapter House
  • Temporary on-base billeting facility (for military families)
  • A notarized Affidavit of Shared Residence if you don’t have proof of residence in your name

For more information on eligibility and application requirements, visit


We want to hear from you.

Send an email or call us at

*What grades are you interested in?

Please select all that apply.

Is there a topic you'd like to learn more about?

Please select all that apply.

By providing this information, you agree to receive calls/texts from a K12 or school representative or a device that will autodial the number provided. Message and data rates may apply.